2011. július 22., péntek

Overeem out of Strikeforce HWT GP, but still fighting for Zuffa

The Strikeforce heavyweight Grand Prix has been very solid so far, but if there's one complaint it might be the amount of time it's taking to progress.

Zuffa, looking to speed things along, scheduled the semifinals for Sept. 10. Alistair Overeem says he can't fight in September, so now in a surprising move, Zuffa has dumped him from the tournament.

It's a shocking development, involving the guy who most still felt was the favorite to win the whole thing and eventually secure a fight with UFC champion Cain Velasquez down the road.

Instead, it'll be Daniel Cormier who steps up and faces Antonio "Big Foot" Silva.

The story picked up steam this afternoon when Overeem appeared on AOL.com's MMA Hour.

"What's going to happen next? I don't know. I've had some threats of cutting me out of the tournament if I don't participate. I don't know if they're going to do it. Personally, I don't like to be threatened. If people start talking like that then?be my guest, but then I'm really not going to sing to their tune," Overeem said.

"For them to unilaterally declare, okay, [September 10] is going to be the second round, which I never agreed on, and then threaten me if I don't want it, it?doesn't really show a lot of respect,"

It was more than "a lack of respect," there were actions behind the words. Overeem is out, but that doesn't mean he's getting booted from the Strikeforce roster. He's the Strikeforce heavyweight champ and UFC president Dana White pointed out that Overeem's still with the company.

"Sept. 10 was the date Showtime wants us to go, so it's the date we've got to go. It's unfortunate that Alistair is unavailable, but situations like this are why there are alternates in the tournament," White told MMAjunkie. "Overeem is under contract, and when his pinky toe heals up, we'll get him another fight," White said.

skateboarding surfing skydiving scuba diving white water rafting

Nincsenek megjegyzések:

Megjegyzés küldése